As a parent, finding the balance between a toy that is educational and one for leisure can be a tough task. Bricks and mortar stores have shelves lined with plastic laden, heavily branded, television character promoted toys, perfectly arranged at eye level to maximise exposure to the eager little purchaser. Although the durability, longevity and educational value of such toys may be questionable, their appeal to impressionable young minds most certainly isn’t. We would love to have a dollar for every time the phrase “Mum can I have this one” or “Dad what about this” is echoed throughout a toy isle on any given day throughout Australia. This begs the question, when and how do you know what toys to choose for birthdays, special occasions or for the everyday at home? And how do you know your child will enjoy your choices?
Educational Experience believe in dynamic, multipurpose resources that are design to stimulate the brain whilst being used in many and varied ways. Not only does this foster creativity in the child but it helps you get the most out of your money.
Here are our three tips for choosing the right toys for your child:
- Safety! It seems like a no brainer but every year hundreds of Australia children suffer injuries from unsafe toys. Choose products that display or have readily available information on safety are the best option. How does this help your child stay interested? Firstly, it means your child will have the toy longer, it isn’t going to be thrown away after breaking early in its journey in your home. It also means your child can relax and so can you whilst they engage with the toy.
- Consider your child’s current interests – What have they been non-stop talking about? What are they learning in their preschool or school setting? Extending a child’s interest and bridging the gap between the centre or school and the home can be a great way continue momentum in their learning journey. Purchasing toys that extend your child’s interest will ensure they remain engaged and excited.
- Durability, longevity and suitability – seems to be another simple concept but how many times do we get sucked into buying the flashy on trend toys that seem to be gone in the blink of an eye! We can think of at least a handful of flash in the pan toys that appeared around Christmas and are no longer on the radar for children. Aim for age appropriate toys that have the ability to transcend set learning outcomes and allow the child to use their own creativity, imagination and skills. Blocks, loose parts, balls and art and craft resources are all great choices.
(author: educational experience blog March 19 2019)
For Peace of Mind….
Toy Safety is the practice of ensuring that toys, especially those made for children ages 0 – 3, are safe, usually through the application of set Safety Standards. There are several regulations and regulators governing the safety of toys in Australia but the Australian Consumer Law managed by the ACCC is the most important of these.
ALL of the toys sold by Wild Woodland Toys have been purchased through reputable Australian Wholesale suppliers who import and distribute high-quality wooden toys to Australian retailers. These suppliers source the products from overseas (mainly China) from ethical wooden toy manufacturers who only use wood from sustainable sources, as well as using safe water, soy and vegetable based paints, adhesives and coatings. The paints are non- toxic as are the natural oils and beeswax used to bring out the natural wood grain. All of these materials are certified and non- toxic. They undergo constant rigorous testing for safety in accordance with the strict guidelines for Toy Safety within Australia.
Ethical Wooden Toy Companies tend to have nothing to hide and their websites and packaging usually proudly feature various certificates and awards by safety and environmental organisations.
Traditional wooden toys are made of natural materials by skilled craftsmen, they are not mass produced in toxic plastic factories. As wooden toys substantially cost more to manufacture, their retail prices do tend to be higher. Plastic toys contain high levels of chemicals and toxins. Wooden toys are a much safer alternative as they do not contain these. This is particularly important with babies who tend to put everything in their mouths.
Whilst easy and convenient to purchase in mainstream shopping centres, mass produced plastic toys are designed to over stimulate with their noise and visual distractions. Wooden Toys inspire creativity and imagination in children. They create an environment of peacefulness and beauty as children engage in meaningful play. Wood is a natural texture, inviting children to touch, feel and explore. Plastic is not.
Wooden Toys are kinder to our planet as they don’t require batteries, electricity or even the software that the high tech devices require these days.
There are so many benefits of choosing wooden toys over plastic ones and fortunately, these days, we are finding an increasing rend towards this choice!
Buying beautiful toys just got a whole lot easier…
Now you dont have to wait, with Afterpay you get your order now and pay the balance off in 4 easy installments!
- Select Afterpay as your payment method. Use your existing debit or credit card.
- Complete your checkout in seconds. No long forms. Instant approval online.
- Pay over 4 equal installments. Pay fortnightly. Enjoy your purhases straight away!
For more information visit http://www.afterpay.com.au
As some of you will be aware there are currently reports circulating on various media platforms regarding moulds inside Sophie la girafe.
In a statement received from Vulli (makers of Sophie in France)
Sophie la girafe is composed of 100% natural rubber, so the cleaning instructions have to be carefully respected. As indicated on the packaging and inside the packaging, we recommend to clean the surface of Sophie la girafe with a damp cloth. It should not be immersed in water nor rinsed off, to prevent water from getting inside.
To date Vulli has not been contacted by (the bloggers) and were not aware of the situation before reading the article. It is thus difficult for us to comment, as we haven’t had the chance to examine the products.
Based on the assessment the Sophie la girafe quality department can make from the pictures shown in the article, “it is not possible that saliva could cause the type of mould formation shown in the pictures… which leads us to believe that the presence of water inside the giraffe caused the mould. This situation is often seen with bath toys.
The safety of children and satisfaction of their parents is our main priority. For the past 55 years, we have always strived to exceed security standards and all of our products comply with the most stringent global standards.
It’s important to note that, as far as we are aware, these moulds do not pose a hazard, although consumers’ concerns at the presence of the mould are understandable.
The bottom line for consumers is that if they respect the cleaning instructions and make sure that no water gets inside the giraffe’s body, there shouldn’t be any issue.
Worryingly the blog article recommends washing and sterilising routines that would strip Sophie’s paint, silence her squeaker, damage the natural rubber (the blog advice is for plastic toys whereas Sophie is made from latex rubber) and leave potentially hazardous cleaning chemicals stuck inside – along with water that would stimulate mould growth!
Sophie the Giraffe has been around for more than 50 years…
Since 1961, more than 30 million Sophies have been sold in the world!
Her success has been huge in Europe, America and in Canada. She has won numerous awards worldwide.
I am so happy to be able to add Sophie to my range. As time progresses, more Sophie products will be added. There is a world of Sophie the Giraffe products out there that I cannot wait to share with you!
Born in France in 1961, Sophie quickly became a “must have” in baby’s essentials. Designed to stimulate the senses and soothe teething gums, mothers recognise right away the benefits of this little giraffe for their child.
Sophie the Giraffe has been a favourite teething toy in France for more than 40 years. Since her creation in 1961, Sophie the Giraffe has wowed over 20 million babies (and parents!) with her natural beauty and charm. These days in France 9 out of 10 newborn babies are given their own Sophie La Girafe.
Most importantly her flexible, renewable, natural rubber materials and non-toxic paint mean Sophie the Giraffe is a safe and all-natural teething toy for your little one. Parents world-wide trust the joy this classic toy brings to their babies.
Vulli, a company based in Rumilly in the Haute-Savoie region of France has continued to keep the jealously-guarded secret of how this wonder toy is made. In today’s fast paced world it is unusual to see a high production toy still “tradionally produced” and made by hand: Sophie requires more than 14 manual manufacturing steps.
Slender, flexible and soft, baby can squeeze and chew her in complete safety. Lovable and amusing, Sophie laughs when her body is squeezed.
- Made from 100% natural rubber derived from the sap of the Hevea tree
- Natural Rubber is soft, safe & non-toxic for baby to teethe & chew.
- Lightweight & easy to grasp for tiny hands.
- Painted with non-toxic, food-grade paints.
- Stimulating to baby’s senses with her soft colors & gentle squeak.
- Bumpy head helps soothe sore, teething gums.
- Sophie makes a soft squeak when squeezed – such fun for a baby!
- Slender, flexible & soft – babies love manipulating & teething Sophie.
- Sophie the Giraffe is Phthalate-Free with No Vinyl (no-PVC)!
- Born in France in 1961, Sophie the Giraffe is a classic!
- 0 – 12 months +
EverEarth are designers, manufacturers and distributors of award winning eco-friendly wooden toys and gifts. They have over 45 years experience in the design and production of wooden toys, and ensure that their toys deliver fantastic play value as well as stimulate the child’s natural development.
EverEarth take pride in being pro-active when it comes to using materials that are safe for our environment. All the products are put through the most stringent internal testing, as well as through third party
industry approved testing labs and meeting the required international standards as a minimum. You can support their plant-a-tree campaign by simply purchasing an EverEarth toy.
Wild Woodland Toys stocks an ever increasing range of EverEarth wooden toys. By purchasing an EverEarth product you can join them in the “Plant-A-Tree” forest sustainability initiative. Purchase an EverEarth toy and we’ll “Plant-A-Tree” in your name in their FSC certified forest. Your choices do make a difference. Follow EverEarth on Facebook and Twitter to see the forest’s progress.
You can visit the Plant-A-Tree website by simply scanning the QR code or by visiting the website
Select the appropriate region
Complete the very basic information register
Forest operations is automatically alerted and will plant tree at the next seed planting session
Your personalised Plant-A-Tree certificate is automatically generated and emailed directly to either you or your child
Regular forest updates will be sent via email