Recent reports regarding mould inside Sophie the Giraffe

As some of you will be aware there are currently reports circulating on various media platforms regarding moulds inside Sophie la girafe.

In a statement received from Vulli (makers of Sophie in France)

Sophie la girafe is composed of 100% natural rubber, so the cleaning instructions have to be carefully respected. As indicated on the packaging and inside the packaging, we recommend to clean the surface of Sophie la girafe with a damp cloth. It should not be immersed in water nor rinsed off, to prevent water from getting inside. 

To date Vulli has not been contacted by (the bloggers) and were not aware of the situation before reading the article. It is thus difficult for us to comment, as we haven’t had the chance to examine the products.  

Based on the assessment the Sophie la girafe quality department can make from the pictures shown in the article, “it is not possible that saliva could cause the type of mould formation shown in the pictures… which leads us to believe that the presence of water inside the giraffe caused the mould. This situation is often seen with bath toys. 

The safety of children and satisfaction of their parents is our main priority. For the past 55 years, we have always strived to exceed security standards and all of our products comply with the most stringent global standards. 

It’s important to note that, as far as we are aware, these moulds do not pose a hazard, although consumers’ concerns at the presence of the mould are understandable.

The bottom line for consumers is that if they respect the cleaning instructions and make sure that no water gets inside the giraffe’s body, there shouldn’t be any issue.

Worryingly the blog article recommends washing and sterilising routines that would strip Sophie’s paint, silence her squeaker, damage the natural rubber (the blog advice is for plastic toys whereas Sophie is made from latex rubber) and leave potentially hazardous cleaning chemicals stuck inside – along with water that would stimulate mould growth!